Florida Department of Corrections: Phone Calls
Prison Phone Provider for setting up prepaid accounts:
Securus Technologies: Set up prepaid accounts online at securustech.net
Local calls are $0.50 per 15-minute call
Long distance calls are $1.80 per 15-minute call
*Rates subject to change.
To save on the cost of prepaid collect calls from Florida State Prisons, you will need a local number. Securus can detect call forwarding and will block the phone number if call forwarding is detected. To successfully use a local number, you will need VoIP phone service. A broadband internet connection and a standard phone are required. Do not use the call forwarding feature. If you have an iPhone, there is an iPhone app available that will allow you to receive the calls on your iPhone without using call forwarding.
Click Here for additional information on our recommended VoIP phone service plan.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding
Calling an Inmate
- How do I call an inmate?
- Florida prison inmates are not permitted to receive telephone calls.
- If there is a family emergency, family members are urged to contact the institution's chaplain. The chaplain will notify the inmate and he/she may be granted a special telephone call.
- Inmates may place collect calls to approved numbers. When an inmate enters the Florida prison system, he/she will have an inmate telephone account established with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and be provided with instructions for placing collect calls to family and friends. Inmate phone lists are limited to ten (10) numbers.
- Inmates are authorized to initiate collect calls to personal land line numbers and personal cell phone numbers. Collect calls to businesses are prohibited. Before an inmate is permitted to place a collect call, she/he must submit the telephone number, name, and address for verification and activation prior to being added to the inmate's approved call list.
- The inmate telephone system contract has now been amended to allow calls to personal cell phone numbers subject to verification and approval of the requested number. Inmate requests may be submitted beginning May 1, 2012. Updates to an inmate's phone list to add personal cell phone numbers will be processed as noted in paragraph F below. Family and Friend members with a cell phone should be prepared to submit a copy of their cell phone contract to the inmate for validation.
- Approved call lists can be changed every 6 months, or sooner under specific circumstances provided in the instructions. Every new number an inmate requests be added to the approved call list must be verified and activated before the inmate is allowed to call.
- If the inmate is unable to complete a call after the number is approved, they should initiate a request through their Classification Office.
- If family and friends are unable to receive calls or have other questions regarding receiving calls from an inmate, they may contact their local phone provider or 800-844-6591, Securus Correctional Billing Services for assistance, or via the web at www.securustech.net.
If you need more information on Calling an Inmate, see Rule 33-602.205 - Inmate Telephone Use, Florida Administrative Code.
From the Florida DOC website: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/inmates/calling.html
Ready to get started? Order Now.